Home | NFIP | Map Modernization | FIRM/DFIRM Panels | Ordinances | Flood Histories | FAQ | Links | Contacts

Frequently Asked Questions

Who may purchase a flood insurance policy?

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) coverage is available to all owner of insurable property (a building and/or its contents) in a community participating in the NFIP. Owners and renter may insure their personal property against flood loss. Builders of buildings in the course of construction, condominium associations, and owners of residential condominium units in participating communities all may purchase flood insurance.

How can property owners or renters find out if they are eligible to purchase flood insurance?

NFIP coverage is available only in participating communities. Almost all of the nation's communities with serious flooding potential have joined the NFIP. To learn if your community participates check the list on the NFIP tab of this web site.

How can a property owner determine if the property is in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).

FEMA publishes maps indicating a community's flood hazard areas and the degree of risk in those areas. Flood insurance maps usually are on file in a local repository in the community, such as the planning and zoning or engineering offices in the town hall or the county building. A property owner may consult these maps to find out if the property is an SFHA.

Click on the Website Tab "FIRM/DFIRM Panels" to view maps for Wyoming communities.

How is flood insurance purchased?

After a community joins the NFIP, a policy may be purchased from any licensed property insurance agent or broker who is in good standing in the State in which the agent is licensed or through any agent representing a Write Your Own (WYO) company, including an employee of the company authorized to issue the coverage.

Is the purchase of flood insurance mandatory?

The Flood Disaster Protection Act of 1973 and the National Flood Insurance Reform Act of 1994 mandate the purchase of flood insurance as a condition of Federal or Federally related financial assistance for acquisition and/or construction of building in Special Flood Hazard Areas of any community. The purchase of flood insurance on a voluntary basis is frequently prudent even outside of Special Flood Hazard Areas.